With Thanksgiving right around the corner, you’re thinking of lots of things to be thankful for. So you think of the usual health, children, your success, etc. Plus, you always have food on the table and you have friends and family who care about you. But there’s one thing that you don’t often think about when you think about Thanksgiving: your spouse. I know. I know. When you think about your spouse it’s a lot easier to think about the headaches they cause. After all, it’d be a lot easier if your spouse didn’t leave their towel on the floor. And it’d be a lot easier if they didn’t leave their makeup all over the sink, too. But despite all the annoyances that come along with being married, there are a lot of good things that come from being married, too.
There Are A Lot of Advantages People Get From Marriage
Amber Groves wrote about a ton of advantages that comes along with marriage. For example, married couples have been statistically proven to live longer than their single counterparts, and they’ve been shown to have less incidences of depression. They even have better health and lower rates of heart attacks.There’s a LOT more than this. I’ll let you read the article I linked to in order to find out what all the advantages are.
But despite all the health advantages that come from marriage, there’s one (perhaps) even bigger reason to be thankful for your marriage this Thanksgiving: People who show gratitude in their marriage have been shown to be happier and have happier marriages. Now if that’s not something to be grateful for, I don’t know what is.
It’s a funny phenomenon. When you show your spouse gratitude, it makes you happier. It also makes your marriage happier. Which also makes you happier. And this makes your marriage happier. See how that works?
So this Thanksgiving as you’re thinking of who to invite over for dinner, and as you’re thinking about the toast you’re going to give at the dinner table, make sure to mention your spouse. Sure, they’re not perfect. And they even cause a lot of headaches at times. But there are also a lot of things about your spouse to be thankful for. Here are a few
Things about your spouse to be thankful for
1) They pick up groceries. How many times have you been running late and your spouse stopped and picked up that thing you needed from the store? Be sure to thank them for that.
2) They take care of you when you’re sick. They don’t have to. But they do anyway. And it makes your day go a lot better. It also helps you feel better.
3) They think about you. Aside from your mother & father, nobody has to show you they love you. In fact, there’s no contract anywhere that says anybody has to care about you. But your spouse does. And they don’t do it because it benefits them. They do it because it benefits you.
4) They show you that you matter. After a couple hundred years or so, you’ll be lucky if anybody on earth remembers you. This can really make you depressed if you think about it. But no matter how short-lived or how uneventful your life is, your spouse shows you that you matter. They make you feel important and that you’ll be missed if you were gone.
5) They share your dreams with you. Remember when you were scared to apply for that new job because you thought it was way out of your league but your spouse encouraged you to do it anyway? Your spouse has always been there over the years to hear your dreams and help you shoot for the stars.
Don’t Forget to Show Your Spouse Your Gratitude
If you think about it, it’s probably been a while since you really told your spouse how grateful you are for them. Sure, you tell them thanks for picking up milk or you tell them thanks for helping you around the house. But this Thanksgiving, don’t forget to show your spouse your gratitude for them – not just what they do. Think about what makes your spouse truly unique. Think about what makes them stand out from the rest of the crowd. Tell them thank you.